|Poster:||dead-head_Monte||Date:||Nov 20, 2011 1:09pm|
|Forum:||occupywallstreet||Subject:||Re: vote for the worst 1% weasel|
Who Are The One Percent?
by Brave New Foundation
Who’s using their wealth to damage our economy and democracy? You tell us. Check out our nominees and vote to choose the worst among them. Then we’ll make a series of videos exposing the ones you pick. Go ahead and vote. Start to take your democracy back.
Know the Facts
• In just the last generation, the richest 1% almost quadrupled their incomes.
• The average wealth of the 1% is 225 times bigger than the wealth of the typical household – the highest it’s ever been.
• Three decades ago, CEOs made about 40 times as much as an average worker – now CEOs make almost 200 times as much as regular employees.
• Last year, half of Americans earned less than $26,000 while CEOs at top 500 companies raked in an average of $11 million.
• Over the past decade, earnings for middle-class Americans actually fell. In fact, working Americans’ wages are now a lower percentage of our economy than they’ve ever been.
• The divide between the richest and the poorest is worse in America than it is in nearly all of Europe and Asia and much of Africa. It’s about as bad as in Rwanda and Serbia – and it’s bad for our economy.
• The 1% is not an accident – it is the result of policies our government chose to pursue.